Date: 7/3/19 10:15 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Green Heron eating 5" Lampreys - Delta Ponds
These would be 'Brook Lamprey', non-parasitic 'miniature' lampreys native
to Oregon.
We have a species endemic to the Clackamas R. drainage in our small creek.
There are other species, far more widespread. Difficult to assign species
unless
you are an expert.
Nothing to worry about, these were likely full grown adults, and based upon
your
reported abundance, an important part of the food chain.
Bob OBrien
Carver OR

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 10:07 AM Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk...>
wrote:

> After photographing the Red-shouldered Hawk Tuesday morning, and while
> standing in the same place. I noticed a Turkey Vulture and three Green
> Herons all within 20 feet of each other, perched on fallen logs. Two
> fledged Green Herons on logs and one adult feeding along the silty
> shoreline of a narrow channel with no current (at this time). The adult
> Green Heron caught what I thought was a small snake, then another the same
> size, then yet another and finally a fourth one - all within 6 minutes and
> all the same size. By the time he caught the second one I saw in my photos
> that these were not snakes at all. They had flattened ("keeled") tails -
> although the body and tail were not distinct from one another but one
> continuously evolving shape from cylindrical to keeled. There do not seem
> to be many species to pick from, so unless someone introduced some exotic
> species these must be some kind of Lamprey. Since there were four of them
> in a six-foot stetch of silty shoreline, there must be "something going on"
> with them - ie arriving, spawning, emerging / metamorphosing ...? Do any of
> you know about these interesting critters?
>
> Priscilla Sokolowski

Join us on Facebook!