Date: 7/1/19 6:25 pm
From: Nathan Pieplow <npieplow...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Lazuli Bunting Behavior, El Paso County
Linda,

No, this is not typical behavior. According to the literature, most Lazuli
Bunting males should know only a single songtype. Song matching is unknown
in the species.

In this case, I'd recommend repeating the experiment, if you can -- but
this time making an audio recording before and after playback. (Ideal would
be a recording that started before playback and continued during and after
it.) If you can confirm that the same individual male switched songtypes
upon responding to playback, then you have documented something new about
Lazuli Bunting song behavior that would be worth publishing in a note in
Colorado Birds. To be certain, you'd have to locate the singing bird before
you played back to it, and watch to make sure it is the same male
responding.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder, Colorado