Date: 7/1/19 1:16 pm
From: Ira Sanders <zroadrunner14...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Timberline Sparrow ??
My understanding is that there was a dna study done and the Timberline did
not meet the criteria to be a separate species.
Ira Sanders

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 6:37 PM Megan Miller <megan.k.miller2473...>
wrote:

> Here is a blog post about them from 2014 which includes songs.
>
> http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/4764
>
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019, 4:42 PM Robert Righter <rorighter...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Just reading *Peterson Reference Guide to Sparrows of North America
>> (2019) *by Rick Wright*, a*pparently on page 321, Timberline Sparrow
>> (Spizella Taverneri), previously a subspecies of the Brewer’s Sparrow has
>> been elevated to a species. A brief search of the internet didn’t produce
>> any information to this effect so I’m not sure how this subspecies gained
>> species status.
>>
>> Here is what is stated in reference to Colorado; *Still mysterious is
>> the summer occurrence of Timberline-like sparrows in suitable breeding
>> habitat at high elevations in the Colorado Rockies; it is not
>> certain whether these birds are in fact Timberline Sparrows—or
>> the altitudinal range of the Brewer Sparrow…*
>>
>> If this information is true the Timberline Sparrow would automatically
>> ascend to first place as being the most difficult species to identify in
>> Colorado if not for North America.
>>
>> Anyone have any more information about the Timberline Sparrow status?
>>
>> Bob Righter
>> Denver CO
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<61C8EE7F-56D6-4C1F-9EF2-E1FF57C1AC01...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<61C8EE7F-56D6-4C1F-9EF2-E1FF57C1AC01...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CABQ76ObTSDczSnX6693jF%2BkMxEnc%3DDkEoxFoZp_ryHCXR9iV%<3DA...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CABQ76ObTSDczSnX6693jF%2BkMxEnc%3DDkEoxFoZp_ryHCXR9iV%<3DA...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Ira Sanders
Golden, CO
"My mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading
into a waterfall of creative alternatives."