Date: 7/1/19 11:19 am
From: Eve Ticknor <edticknor...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Boblink weather event?
Microbursts have been happening this year more than I remember, both sides of the Lake. I suspect your flattening could be due to this, and pretty scary to any animal, especially ground-nesting birds who have no escape for babies, and themselves if they choose to remain on the nest. Microbursts happen in seconds and are exceptionally fierce.

> On Jul 1, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Carl Runge <0000009209546543-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> This morning Bruce MacPhersonand I went out for our weekly monitoring of Bobolinks at the Catamount Community Forest. This year with the property now in Townownership, we have been managing for grassland birds on an historical Bobolinknesting field. For the past 5years this field has been mowed with no successful Bobolink nesting. This year there has been no earlymowing and we were off to a good start. Last week on this 8 acre field, we counted 17 Bobolinks, male andfemale, with both sexes carrying food. Today was a different story. We first noticed that there was noBobolink song. On the central partof the field, the highest andwidest part where most of the Bobolinks were concentrated last week, there wasnot one to be seen. On thesouthern part of the field at a lower level, we found one pair. Both the male and the female wereagitated, with constant chipping and tail bobbing. The female was carryingfood. Nearby we saw an additionalfemale. That was it.
> We noticed that the fieldappeared different, particularly the highest and widest central section. Thegrass was flattened in wide swaths. This did not appear to be from people ordeer walking through, but looked more like a wind event. On the evening of June 29 there was aweather advisory in the area and a storm passed through in the evening. This was short and did not appear to beoverly severe at my house about one mile from Catamount.
>
> I am wondering if any of youhave observed anything similar or have any ideas about this. It seems ironicfor birds that fly so far to nest, to by stymied by a single event likethis. Or was it somethingelse? We will continue ourmonitoring to see if there is any recovery from this.
>
> Carl Runge
> Williston

Eve Ticknor
<edticknor...>

Box 2206
Prescott, On
K0E 1T0

24 Birch Ave
Willsboro, NY
12996

Today is a new day. Today is a gift. Make the most of it.

Join us on Facebook!