Date: 6/30/19 4:16 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Birding trip to Lakeview area, June 25-29
OBOL:

I just returned from leading a birding trip to the Lakeview area, June
25-29. We had 15 participants. Thanks to Jan Laird for organizing it.

June 25 travel to Lakeview:

Ruby Apsler and I heard a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH where Crescent Creek passes
under the Crescent Cutoff Rd.

June 26

In Lakeview we saw a CALIFORNIA SCRUB JAY.

We started a Goose Lake State Park. We found multiple CLARK'S GREBES on the
lake, a confiding MARSH WREN on a fence, nesting RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS in
a weeping willow in the campground, and a pair of CEDAR WAXWINGS building a
nest.

At the Lakeview swimming pool park we found another nesting RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKER in a weeping willow and a nesting BULLOCK'S ORIOLE.

Up Bullard Canyon we encountered lots of wind that hampered birding but we
found another pair of RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS gathering food for nestlings,
and many GREEN-TAILRED TOWHEES, a life bird for several people, and a
top-down view of a LAZULI BUNTING at a stream.

At the Lakeview sewage ponds we found some waterfowl and a SPOTTED
SANDPIPER.

June 27

We headed east on Hwy 140. At 20.1 miles from Hwy 395 we walked in on a
loop of dirt road on the north side of the highway. We found 2 JUNIPER
TITMICE busily gathering food and dashing back and forth. It was impossible
to discern where they were depositing the food. Another mile east we
visited White Rock Spring and found ASH-THROATED and GRAY FLYCATHERS,
CHIPPING and BREWER'S SPARROWS, more GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES.

At Adel we found milkshakes.

Heading north, we found AMERICAN BITTERN, CASPIAN and FORSTER'S TERNS and
many FRANKLIN'S GULLS on Crump Lake, LONG-BILLED CURLEWS south of Plush,
COMMON NIGHTHAWKS in Plush, CLARK'S GREBES on Hart Lake, BLACK-CROWNED
NIGH-HERONS at Warner Wetlands.

Up at Hart Mt NWR I told folks to be on the lookout for SAGE GROUSE, and
Larry Miller spotted one.

After dinner I visited the Lakeview sewage ponds and found 60 COMMON
NIGHTHAWKS and 6 WILSON'S PHALAROPES.

June 28

We began at Chandler Wayside north of Lakeview, where we found another
GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE, WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH nesting, PYGMY NUTHATCHES
nesting, HOUSE WREN. At the fresh water pool just south of Lake Abert we
found an OSPREY. On Lake Abert we found a modest number of EARED GREBES and
distant phalaropes, a LONG-BLLED CURLEW, hundreds of WILLETS, AMERICAN
AVOCETS, and gulls. At the cabin on the NW corner of the lake we found a
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE family.

Back in Lakeview after supper some of us got a treat at the sewage ponds.
We found a tiny young SPOTTED SANDPIPER on the dike road. Its parent called
anxiously and eventually the dad settled down in the vegetation and got the
little chick to come to him and crawl under him.

June 29

We headed north. South of Paisley we found a pair of SANDHILL CRANES with
two COLTS out in a field. Along the Chewaucan River at Paisley we found two
GREAT-HORNED OWLS and two HOODED MERGANSERS.

We stopped 6.4 miles south of Fort Rock to try for SAGEBRUSH SPARROW and
found one elusive bird, plus a show-of SAGE THRASHER and a HORNED LARK. At
Fort Rock State Park we found WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS and a PRAIRIE FALCON.

At Cabin Lake we spent 2-3 PM and found a wealth of birds.

Red Crossbills - many birds, many colors

Cassin's Finches - many bright males, drab females

Mt Chickadees

Pygmy Nuthatches

W-b Nuthatches

White-headed Woodpecker - 1 at water

Lewis' Woodpecker - 1 brief stop atop a P. pine

Flicker

Pinyon Jay - several

Clark's Nutcracker - many

Green-tailed Towhee - bathing

Western Bluebird

We ended the trip with 123 species.

On our way home the first traveler came through a hail storm above Detroit.
Those of us who came later saw the temperature at 58 degrees up there and 78
in Salem.

Good birding everyone,

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!