Date: 6/27/19 8:25 am
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] ECAS Wednesday Birding to eastern edge Crook County
Not all birds showed up for us but it was a fine day, led by Chuck Gates
and ebirded by Diane Burgess. Thanks to both. First stop was Eagle Rock
for White-throated Swifts and we had good views. North Shore road had
the hoped for singing chats and orioles and a bunch of Ash-throated.
Eastern Kingbird (pair?) at the restroom at "Old Field" was very cool.
Pair of Westerns were also busy there. Our main event was to get out to
the edge of Crook to the Bobolink fields and we were not disappointed.
Several males perched up or flew back and forth around us. Willets
calling and displaying were nice. The raptor show out east is
spectacular and the Goldens took the show today, 8 or 10 of them. Lack
of Burrowing Owls was hard to swallow though. Boo hoo. While the water
level was very high on the Crooked River near Prineville Res, it was
fairly dry in Paulina Valley and many birds were distant. A few birds
won't make the list because they were seen by only one birder, my rule.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by h://birdnotes.net
Canada Goose
Wild Turkey
California Quail
American White Pelican - 17 N SHore Rd
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle - 6 or 7
Northern Harrier
Swainson's Hawk - 3, one a dark morph
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk - about 5
Golden Eagle 8 to 10
American Kestrel
Sandhill Crane - 4, Paulina Valley Marsh
Killdeer
Willet
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope - Puett, wet meadow
Black Tern - 15+, Paulina Valley Marsh
Rock Dove - Eagle Rock as usual
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Common Nighthawk
White-throated Swift - 3 max at a time, Eagle Rock
Northern Flicker
Say's Phoebe - Paulina
Ash-throated Flycatcher - 7 or 8 of them today, 4 at once N Shore Rd
Western Kingbird
Eastern Kingbird
Black-billed Magpie - lots of begging fledglings
American Crow
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow - 2 Eagle Rock
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 1 Eagle Rock
Bank Swallow - flock along river east of Post
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Mountain Bluebird - esp Eagle Rock
American Robin
Sage Thrasher - full song Paulina Valley
European Starling
Yellow Warbler - N Shore Rd and Paulina
Yellow-breasted Chat - 3 - N Shore Rd
Spotted Towhee
Brewer's Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Bobolink - 2 locations, Puett Rd and Paulina Valley at Marsh
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird - Many Paulina Valley Marsh
Brewer's Blackbird
Cassin's Finch
House Finch
American Goldfinch - Paulina town
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 62
Birders today, Chuck Gates, Diane Burgess, Joel Tinsley, Milt Vine,
Craig Bennett, Wayne Bowers, Mary Webster, Toni Morozumi, Mark
Neudorfer, Scott Ahlf and Judy Meredith. Next week, Millican Valley to
Pumice Springs, Sand Springs, water holes, habitat edges.

Judy, <jmeredit...>
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!