Date: 6/25/19 7:06 pm
From: dawn v <d_villa...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Request for help from non-OBOL member - bird seen Clatsop county
Thank you all so much for your replies - the information and examples are
very helpful. Consensus is that it has to be a leucistic bird. I'll
pass along the information and examples. Appreciate this community!
dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 5:23 PM
From: "dawn v" <d_villa...>
To: OBOL <obol...>
Subject: [obol] Request for help from non-OBOL member - bird seen
Clatsop countyHi, I received a phone call this afternoon and asked the
caller to send me an email with as complete a description as he could
do. He writes:Last Sunday, 6/23 [at about 9:00am], I was leaving
Astoria heading East on highway 30 along the Columbia River. About two
or three miles outside Astoria, in a undeveloped area, a bird I have
never seen before flew across the road in front of me. I was going
slow with no traffic so I was able to get a good look at the bird. The
bird appeared to be pure white, with a dark bill and undulated as if
flew. The bird was about the size of a house sparrow, maybe six to
seven inches in length. I lost sight of the bird when it flew into the
trees. Again, the body, win gs and tail feathers of the bird appeared
to be pure white; very stunning. There might have been color on its
head. At first I thought it could be a Snow Bunting, but I am doubtful
because I did not see any black; or maybe a McKay’s Bunting, but I
know their habitat is way north. Thank you for any assistance you can
provide in helping me identify this bird. No matter what, it was a
thrill just seeing it. Please let me know if you have any thoughts and
I will pass them on to him. If you'd like to contact him, please email
me off-list and I'll give you his contact information. dawn v
Lincoln City/Nelscott POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN
OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol OBOL archives:
www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...> POST: Send your post to
<obol...> JOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!