Date: 6/24/19 8:26 pm
From: Matthew via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] House Sparrows killed my House Wren nestlings
Never EVER set a mouse trap in a bird house. That’s a terrible and horrendous idea, and extremely unethical because there’s no way to guarantee that the death is quick. If you want to set traps, consider Van Ert traps or a large repeating trap. You don’t want one that will kill the bird inside the box because if you catch a native bird that’s beyond bad. There’s plenty of resources on the North American Bluebird Society that give suggestions on trapping an exterminating House Sparrows.

Other suggestions are hanging string from the entrance, different style entrance holes (not just circles), and house placement suggestions. Again, the North American Bluebird Society has amazing resources and they can be applied to all nest boxes.

And of course, if you set traps, remember to check them regularly in case you do catch a native species so you can release it quickly and hopefully without harm.

-Matt Bell
Vernon