Date: 6/24/19 3:54 am
From: Ian Worley <iworley...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Eight Whip-poor-wills. Snake Mountain Road, Weybridge.
Last night whip-poor-wills were very active along the known site along
Snake Mountain Road in Weybridge.  The sky was clear and there was no
wind.  Mild temperature.  Ambient noise was of no factor. There was no moon.

There was a very interactive group of three from 0.43-0.66 miles north
of Forrest Road, mostly on the west side of the road. They moved around
from roadside to high up the hill on the west side of the road and at
the truck repair shop.  The first song was at 8:50 pm.  At one point I
watched two flying below tree height over the road going back and forth
approaching me.  Moths were very abundant.  I stayed with this group
until 9:26.

At 9:26 I left that location when all three birds were close to each
other.  I found another group of three, in the area from 0.97-1.32 miles
north of Forrester Road, a common location.  One was west of the road,
apparently at the west edge of a field (this was a well known singer
with a slightly higher pitch and noticeably faster cadence); a second
was loudly singing near the road on the west side near a barn; a third
was near the road on the east side. The documentation time was
9:29-9:33.  Heading north again I wanted to see if there were any more
north of Prunier Road, where they have been previously.  But I came upon
a pair just before Prunier Road, one west of the road a bit distant and
the other near the road on the east side singing loudly.  It
documentation time was 9:35-9:38. No Whip-poor-wills were encountered
north of Prunier (perhaps these last two were the same individuals
sometimes heard north of Prunier along Snake Mountain Road).

At each location it was not difficult to confirm the number of birds and
to note that none appeared to departing that location at that time.  One
of the birds at the first location frequently comes close to me at the
roadside listening spot, often giving two or three one-note "quirt"
greeting calls prior to singing.  It did so last night, as usual.

Ian

Join us on Facebook!