Date: 6/23/19 7:44 pm
From: Pamela Johnston <shovzan...>
Subject: [obol] Mountain Quail have hatched
Today I got home about 1PM and was greeted at the door by my husband, who
said I had to see the Quail. From the kitchen window we saw one, presumably
female, quail and 8 or 9 tiny chicks.

She made herself broad and low to the ground and all the chicks found a
place under her wings and body. Her shape was like a curling stone with a
broad tail added on. Her crest feather was down flat. These birds disappear
without going away.

My husband sees Quail from his shop behind the house, more often than I do,
and I agree with his conclusion that the male is missing. Normally a foray
into the open areas at this end of the yard would include a male to stand
watch. I think that may be why the female spent an hour or so sheltering
the chicks on their way to forage under the cover of low shrubs.

Pamela Johnston, outside McMinnville

Join us on Facebook!