Date: 6/23/19 12:45 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] June 23 eBird RBA
*** Species Summary:

Trumpeter Swan (1 Lane)
Black Swift (1 Tillamook)
Black-chinned Hummingbird (1 Crook)
Mew Gull (1 Lane)
Northern Goshawk (1 Benton)
Red-naped Sapsucker (1 Deschutes)
Ash-throated Flycatcher (1 Lane)
Red-eyed Vireo (1 Benton)
Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (2 Lane)
Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (1 Multnomah)
Fox Sparrow (Thick-billed) (1 Jackson)
Fox Sparrow (2 Lane)
Lincoln's Sparrow (3 Lane)
Tricolored Blackbird (1 Union)
Great-tailed Grackle (1 Crook)

Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 17:47 by Tye Jeske
- Forcia and Larsen Reservoir, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0682574,-123.4793168&ll=44.0682574,-123.4793168
- Comments: "Continuing, has become regular at this location."

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (1)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 08:13 by Cliff Cordy
- E. Foley Ridge Rd. (45.6725,-123.7999), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.672518,-123.799903&ll=45.672518,-123.799903
- Comments: "We both saw this bird well for about a minute. Shape of the
wings indicated it was a swift. All dark. It seemed to be a larger than a
Vaux's, but there were no other birds around for a direct comparison. The
slower rate of the wing beats is how we ruled out Vaux's. For most of the
time we watched this bird it glided without flapping. Silent."

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 09:30 by Sharon Peters
- 13401 NE Lawson Rd, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.320089,-120.676405&ll=44.320089,-120.676405
- Comments: "Hummingbird with black chin"

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 16:18 by Tye Jeske
- Port of Siuslaw Campground and Marina, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9690364,-124.1009295&ll=43.9690364,-124.1009295
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing late bird resting on dock, first found on June 1,
very small, and had clean yellow bull with no markings."

Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) (1)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 14:02 by Jim Fairchild
- Alder Spring tract (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4925692,-123.4634247&ll=44.4925692,-123.4634247
- Comments: "Karan discerned a difference between our diverse single call
notes of young STJA, which I attributed the single fairly soft "ke" notes,
repeated 3-4 times at ~10 sec. intervals. All other birds were quiet. Then
from near same sound source tree top (140ft.) a large accipiter flew north
to south. Nearly as large as a RTHA, long tail, rounded wing tips, against
the sun white plumose fringes of undertail coverts showing well on either
side of tail base. Wingbeat regular but open and almost languorous with
the N breeze. Nesting swallows did not announce alert, as common with COHA
or SSHA."

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 09:46 by Danielle Lordi
- Calliope Crossing, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3507699,-121.5526056&ll=44.3507699,-121.5526056
- Comments: "Nest, feeding."

Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) (1)
- Reported Jun 21, 2019 11:26 by Tom Mickel
- Little Groundhog Mtn USFS Rd #2309 (43.5773,-122.3338), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.577316,-122.333792&ll=43.577316,-122.333792
- Comments: "Calling from rocky hillside above road. I heard one call,
Allison heard a second a few minutes later, and then we both heard a
couple more calls. Completely unexpected in this high Cascades habitat!"

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 08:22 by William Proebsting
- 44.58107_-123.37359, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.58107,-123.37359&ll=44.58107,-123.37359
- Comments: "Only a brief encounter of a bird singing a fairly rapid
"cheri-cheroo" repetitively for several seconds. Timbre and pattern
matched Red-eyed Vireo. Have never heard our usual vireos sing anything
remotely similar. Nor Black-headed Grosbeak. Moved through my area, heading
north and no further contact."

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (3)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 12:00 by Mark Kudrav
- Hwy 242--Pioneer Mailman pullout, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.24874,-121.8391&ll=44.24874,-121.8391
- Comments: "(Rare) Crossbills calling burry and softer than the pygmy
nuthatch-like Ponderosa type, or the stronger squeakier Douglas Fir-type. I
think this is the expected type higher up in the Sisters region."

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (3)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 12:00 by Matt Cahill
- Hwy 242--Pioneer Mailman pullout, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.24874,-121.8391&ll=44.24874,-121.8391
- Comments: "(Rare) Crossbills calling burry and softer than the pygmy
nuthatch-like Ponderosa type, or the stronger squeakier Douglas Fir-type. I
think this is the expected type higher up in the Sisters region."

Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (Loxia curvirostra (type 4)) (2)
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 08:04 by Philip Kline
- Larch Mountain, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5295611,-122.088232&ll=45.5295611,-122.088232
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "The loudest calls in the flock were Type 4 - Douglas Fir based
on the shape of their call note on the spectrograph."

Fox Sparrow (Thick-billed) (Passerella iliaca [megarhyncha Group]) (1)
- Reported Jun 23, 2019 07:50 by Tim Shelmerdine
- (42.0743,-122.6432), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.074319,-122.643217&ll=42.074319,-122.643217
- Comments: "Observed one singing in manzanita on slope. "

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 21, 2019 10:27 by Tom Mickel
- Juniper Ridge USFS Rd 2135 (43.5593,-122.3365), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.559268,-122.336455&ll=43.559268,-122.336455
- Comments: "Singing on breeding territory."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 21, 2019 09:43 by Tom Mickel
- USFS Rd #439, overlooking unnamed lake (43.5557,-122.3858), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.555676,-122.385791&ll=43.555676,-122.385791
- Comments: "On nest territory "

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (6) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 21, 2019 07:40 by Torrey Gage-Tomlinson
- Blair Lake Trail (No. 3553), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.8399663,-122.2371849&ll=43.8399663,-122.2371849
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Appropriate habitat. Singing. At least three pair in different
locations. Photos."

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (4) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 21, 2019 10:27 by Tom Mickel
- Juniper Ridge USFS Rd 2135 (43.5593,-122.3365), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.559268,-122.336455&ll=43.559268,-122.336455
- Comments: "Singing on breeding territory. A conservative count."

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (5) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 21, 2019 11:26 by Tom Mickel
- Little Groundhog Mtn USFS Rd #2309 (43.5773,-122.3338), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.577316,-122.333792&ll=43.577316,-122.333792
- Comments: "Singing and chasing each other in a wet meadow on their
breeding territory."

Tricolored Blackbird (Agelaius tricolor) (1)
- Reported Jun 23, 2019 09:00 by Valerie Goss
- Back yard, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.3373677,-118.0431772&ll=45.3373677,-118.0431772
- Media: 1 Photo

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jun 22, 2019 by Central Oregon Historical Records
- Powell Butte Zalunardo Pond, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2725424,-121.0133506&ll=44.2725424,-121.0133506
- Comments: ""Large blackbird. Almost crow-sized. Very long tail twisted
to one side making it look vertically oriented instead of horizontal like
other blackbirds. And I thought magpies have a long tail... flew in (a
fluttery flight trailing that long tail) to the pond by our mailbox, hopped
around from boulder to boulder at the south end of the pond with its
tail-paddle turned 90 degrees. After 10 minutes flew up and away across
Williams Road to the west out of sight. Fun!" Cindy Zalunardo"

Join us on Facebook!