Date: 6/23/19 5:10 am
From: SARAH FAULKNER via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Great blue heron
That's a great idea. I, too, have been "fished out" by a heron, which surprised me when it started two years ago since I'd had no problem for 13 years with large fish, and suddenly was "discovered". My pond is very small -- two pools, one 3'x3' cascading into one 4' x 7', which seemed way too small to be worth while. The fish are only in the larger pool. Fortunately, it is pretty deep (30" in center), so I constructed a hiding place in the middle and that worked well. The sad part was that the fish were terrified and would no longer come to the surface to visit or feed, so I could not enjoy my beautiful fish. Trying a number of things, I eventually got a blue heron decoy and it has worked like a charm (knock on wood). I move it around periodically. Since your bird apparently is attacking your decoy, I'd suggested another such as a coyote or eagle. I don't think a green heron decoy would work, but that would be smaller and more attractive...

And, just for a chuckle, until I needed the decoy I'd always scoffed when seeing them at garden centers -- I thought they were for people with bad taste in garden decor!!!! Little did I know...

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville