Date: 6/22/19 12:20 pm
From: Larry . via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Great blue heron
Having had a koi pond for many years, and having been visited by egrets,
osprey, raccoons and more, I can say that I never lost a fish to a
predator, first be sure the water is deep enough,at least a few feet so
the fish have a chance to go below the predators range. I used strawberry
pots on the bottom so they have hideouts, plants are big! pickeral rush for
one (pontideria cordata) makes great hiding spots, looks beautiful and
makes for a healthy pond, plus small birds will use the branches and leaves
for drinking and bathing from, use as many plants as you can, they also
keep the hot sun from shining directly on the water which can make
for.lethal water temps. If the.pond is in a wide open area, big birds will
have no issue flying in and picking off fish, so covering or surrounding
the pond be it trees fencing or whatever will hinder them flying into a now
smaller, tight space. Fake coyotes, foxes... are useless, think of all the
moving head horned owls that were put up on cell towers to keep ospreys
from nesting, those owls don't work on boats either, the birds will just
sit on the owls head and poop away or eat a fish.The last thing is that
fish get use to people hand feeding them and if trained will come right up
a eat out of you hand, I'm not so sure they know the difference between a
human silhouette to a herons. By the time they learn it probably to late.
Larry Flynn Mystic Ct