Date: 6/21/19 3:29 pm
From: mary hrudkaj <mch1096...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Flutter leaves (baby mountain quail) count
Around 3pm I was finally to get a beak count of the new mountain quail chicks in my yard. The adult female was feeding in the driveway but the male was standing watch along the edge of the yard with his little guys learning about their new world. From what I could count there are 7 chicks in the flock (flocklet?). They are twice the size they were on Sunday when I first discovered them. Hopefully they will set a regular feeding schedule soon.

At least the black bear that was in the yard at 7:20 this morning was easier to count. We've had a black bear frequenting the immediate area of my residence since last Friday. I'm awaiting a call from Fish and Wildlife about getting a trap. This is a full grown male and stand close to 3 ft at the shoulders. At least the quail can move faster than the bear can.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya