Date: 6/21/19 7:33 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: So You Think You have Seen Allen's Hummer in OR?
I don't think people know exactly how far inland the hybrids go but I know
that during the study they planned on going inland to look for hybrids. I
have definitely seen hybrids at high elevations in Coos. It is a real mix,
I just think the old paradigm of going south in Curry to get your annual
Allen's may not be as easy as people use to think. Getting a good look at
a male's back to assess the amount of green can be tricky for sure. Also,
since display's alone are not definitive, I imagine that most eBird entries
for these species in Coos and Curry should be just Rufous/Allen's. It will
be interesting to have observers looking more closely at these Curry males
to see how common or uncommon entirely green-backed males are?

There are still lots of unanswered questions, I just wanted to get the word
out so that eBird users know that they will have to have a fairly good
observation, including an entirely green-back, for making sure they did not
see a hybrid (actually I am trying to convince Russ Namitz of this since he
is officially vetting all the south coast data, I think we would not be
able to go back and check all the gazillion Allen's observations but would
have to start on new observations as of whatever date Russ may want to
choose).. In southern Coos the hybrids are super common, I (as well as
other observers) have been seeing them for the last 20 years regularly.
There are definite hybrids all the way inland to Coquille, Myrtle Point,
Powers and further up the SF of the Coquille (based on Allen's type display
with limited green on the back).

I think that any green-backed male that shows up outside of Coos/Curry
could also be a hybrid, so documenting the color of the back and display
dives if possible will be helpful to assess if it is a hybrid or not.

Courtney Kelly Jett sent me a photo of what I would call a classic hybrid-
hopefully she will share it with OBOL.

Tim

Join us on Facebook!