Date: 6/20/19 2:44 pm
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Greenwich Point YB Cuckoo
Good questions by Will, and appropriate given the CT Bird Atlas currently
under way. It's always good to bear in mind that the presence of a bird of
a species known to breed in given area does not guarantee that the
individual is actually breeding. The Atlas offers a long list of criteria
and circumstances that help participants determine if breeding is
confirmed, probable or possible. It's well known there are excess males of
many species ready to take over a territory that comes open for any number
of reasons.

Regarding cuckoos specifically, they're species known for uneven
distribution from year to year, primarily because they depend on a food
source subject to periodic outbreaks (large hair caterpillars such as Tent
Caterpillars and Gypsy Moths).

Chris Elphick may have some comments regarding cuckoos and the ongoing
Atlas.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury