Date: 6/20/19 1:53 pm
From: William Schenck via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Greenwich Point YB Cuckoo
Greenwich Point Park, Greenwich — while birding earlier this afternoon, one
of the first birds I observed was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo foraging on
insects and caterpillars in the trees of the parking lot. An especially
interesting sighting of this uncommon CT breeder as we are well into the
nesting season... as far as I understand, this species usually breeds in
more inland locations with mature, diverse forest. Perhaps this bird was
foraging far from its nesting sight? Any theories/history on the breeding
of Yellow-billed Cuckoos in coastal or wider CT are welcome. Last I
checked, the bird was not there, though it covered a wide area while
foraging.

Will Schenck
Connecticut Young Birders’ Club
Greenwich