Date: 6/11/19 8:44 pm
From: Dave Hayden <dtvhm...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Lewis and Yakima Co. Birding
Gary Wiles and I birding a few places in Lewis County and the White Pass burn in Yakima County.
We started at the west end of Riffe Lake where we confirmed breeding BANK SWALLOWS in the cut banks of Rainy Creek.A few other birds seen were BALD EAGLE, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW, and WILLOW FLYCATCHER. A short jaunt over to the Glenoma Ball Fields where we walked the road and found 3 RED-EYED VIREOS, PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER, and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK just to name a few. At White Pass (Lewis Co. side) we picked up a CHIPPING SPARROW.

On the Yakima Co. side we took Tieton Rd. to FR830 and went about 2.7 miles to the smaller burn. Fairly easy to explore, not to steep, however the bigger burn to the west requires a little more technical navigation. Here we had;
Sooty Grouse 4 We saw a male hooting from a large, high tree branch next to the road and a female with at least 2 chicks.
Turkey Vulture 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Western Wood-Pewee 3