Date: 6/11/19 8:24 am
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Re: [obol] Re: Umpqua Breeding Bird Survey 6/9/2019 / Grasshopper Sparrows
Thanks for the information Joel and Jeff. Seems that Grasshopper Sparrows
on the West Side (of the Cascades) are dependent on disturbance from fires
or grazing animals for the formation of their preferred breeding habitats.
Fires were regularly set by the first people here pro-European
colonization. I wonder about grazing animals that might have been native
here pro-European. Deer and Elk would keep the shrubs pruned, but were
there grass-eaters? Bison or megafauna?

David Bailey

Join us on Facebook!