Date: 6/11/19 7:04 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Malheur trip report 6/6 - 6/8
I missed Paul’s group by about five minutes, the sadness. He mentioned Bufflehead and I wanted to add that I saw females as far south as Sixmile Pond on the Fields road. They were in more places in Harney than I would expect in early summer.

It was fun to meet Angela and her crew and all the others whom I had not met before, and of course many old friends. I’m glad to have had the experience but it is good to be home.

Anyone who is interested in volunteering as a Malheur docent should see the application material at:

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Malheur/what_we_do/get_involved.html

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jun 11, 2019, at 3:36 AM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> wrote:
>
> I am writing in response to the fine Malheur trip report by Angela Batliner-Calabrese, Emile Chen, and Dick Vreeland. I applaud their first time enthusiasm and all the lifers they found. Malheur is a magical place. I’m sure they will be back.
>
> I visited Malheur NWR for the 91st time on 6/6-6/7, leading an Audubon Birding “Weekend” group of 15 people. We ranged in age from 60 -80, 5 were retired doctors, 6 wore hearing devices. We’ve done this before, but the thrill is still the same.
>
> Like Angela’s group we relied on Alan Contreras’ reports, tips from Dan Heyerly, and reports from earlier visitors.
>
> I checked the Burns sewage ponds before breakfast on 6/6 and found 5 Ross’s Geese, so the Hines and Burns sewage ponds became our first stop. The day was cold and threatened rain. The Ross’s Geese had disappeared, but we found Canvasbacks, Ruddy Ducks, Eared Grebes, and Wilson’s Phalaropes, plus a Swainson’s Hawk at the fairgrounds. On Hotchkiss Ln we found the first of many Yellow-headed Blackbirds and White-faced Ibis.
>
> We reached refuge headquarters early and found multiple Common Nighthawks, Yellow Warblers, flying ibises, Cedar Waxwings, and the fluffy Great Horned Owlets. We got to see the Swainson’s Thrush and heard a Warbling Vireo. Following Dan Heyerly’s tip, we went to Benson Pond to search for the waterthrush that others had reported. We found stiff wind, Bullock’s Orioles, the Trumpeter Swan on its nest, a calling Sora, but no waterthrush.
>
> After lunch we continued down the Central Patrol Rd, finding the usual Pheasant. At Knox Pond we found a legion of swallows, a Western Grebe, Buffleheads, and 4 Black Terns. The star of the day was a cooperative Bobolink that sat on a bush beside the cars north of P Ranch, preened and sang. At Page Springs we found the expected Y-b Chats, but not the Dipper reported from the dam. We got great looks at a Virginia Rail with chicks in the marsh by the pay station. On the way to Frenchglen folks in the back cars saw Eastern Kingbirds.
>
> As we came down the north side of Wright’s Point we discovered a slough with Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, a Black-crowned Night-heron, Forster’s Terns, Franklin’s Gulls, and Black-necked Stilts. A Ferruginous Hawk with two chicks was in a nearby nest.
>
> Early on 6/7 we returned to Benson Pond under better weather conditions. We heard the Sora, saw the swan, but no waterthrush. We did find Olive-sided and Willow Flycatcher, and W. Wood-pewee. The pond on the way to Krumbo Reservoir held a nice mix of waterfowl, and our only Bald Eagle perched on the rim. Then we visited the marsh a couple miles east of Rt 205 on the way to Diamond, but wind and a brief hailstorm cut that short. Back at Buena Vista overlook we searched for cranes but found none. We did see Rock Wren and Loggerhead Shrike.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!