Date: 6/8/19 3:39 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: CAVE MOUNTAIN BIRDS, BUFFALO NATIONAL RIVER
Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society hosted a field trip to Cave Mountain in Buffalo National River this morning. We met at Boxley bridge over the Buffalo River. The trip involved habitats along Cave Mountain Road (Newton County 5). At the bridge we packed into as few cars as possible, then drove up to the top of Cave Mountain where it overlooks Upper Buffalo Wilderness in Ozark National Forest. The elevation up there is around 2000 feet. Over the next 2.5 hours we made a series of stops going down, back towards the bridge, which is about 1100 feet. So we were birding in various habitats associated with about 900 feet of elevation. UA-Fayetteville graduate student Vivek Govind Kumar compiled an eBird checklist. He redid the list so I could paste it below. It’s a pretty good list for a morning’s work. We didn’t all see all of these birds, but many of us did see and hear many of them. A list like this reminds me of why conservation of natural habitats is so important, and that includes supporting National Parks and US Forest Service in a time when some feel government is the problem, even in natural resource management. I don’t feel this way. We need conservation agencies to conserve. Period. Here is the list Vivek compiled:

CAVE MOUNTAIN – JUNE 8TH 2019

1) Yellow-billed Cuckoo – 1

2) Ruby-throated Hummingbird – 1

3) Black Vulture – 1