Date: 6/8/19 4:30 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Nighthawk in Sherwood 6-5-2019
An excellent post Jeff. While Obol subscribership is at an all time
high(seemingly keeping stride one-to-one with the wolf population in
Germany) contributions are perhaps at the lowest since l first subscribed
twelve years ago. It's a great idea to master a new technology when the
stakes are low. I recall Khan Trahn's advice on digoscoping: practice on
Chickadees and Robins, don't wait and try to figure it out on your first
Northern Parula.
The dawn song of Violet-green Swallows is for me the defining sound
of summer in the American West. From Pine Ridge ,South Dakota to Cascade
Head in Oregon they are twittering in the dark hours before sunrise. I used
to assume they were all flying about and perhaps the twittering reduced the
chance of collision. But someone on this list reported a decade ago that
much of the vocalizing comes from perched swallows.
Right now is the absolute spike in nighthawk detections in western
Oregon as they move through. The first birds appear around June 5. This is
ten days later than eastern Oregon, a reverse of the case with Turkey
Vultures and many other spring migrants. By June 15-20 CONI have reached
their destination . The clearcuts around Timber Jct on Highway 26 had
breeding nighthawks last year. Visit during darkness and you should be able
to record their bullroaring. They make a dive like a Rufous Hummingbird and
at the bottom do something with wing and/or tail feathers to acheive a bass
toned buzzing. Lars

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019, 11:17 PM Roger Freeman <freemanbecard...> wrote:

> Sounds like Violet-green Swallows along with the Common Nighthawk. Had a
> similar experience a few mornings ago when I stepped outside at about
> 4:15AM (1 hour before sunrise) with several active chattering VGSwallows
> flying around. I also recorded it.
>
> Roger Freeman
> Silverton
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 9:59 PM Jeff Cooney <gaviacooney...> wrote:
>
>> I attended my first OBA meeting this year. After attending the Saturday
>> workshop presented by Nathan Pieplow, I was so excited about "earbirding",
>> that I went home and installed the Song Sleuth app on my iPhone Xr. I had
>> been hearing a twittering sound early in the morning between 3 and 5 AM
>> that I suspected were vocalizations of Vaux's Swifts. I wanted to get a
>> recording, so with Song Sleuth installed, I kept my window open and my
>> iPhone beside the bed. On June 5th I got a recording of the swifts, but
>> unexpectedly got a recording of a Common Nighthawk 'preenting' as a bonus.
>>
>> I tried to edit the recording to isolate the nighthawk, but I fear I
>> fumbled and did not get all I wanted. I have attached the remaining clip
>> of the recording. Obviously I have much to learn about audio files, but as
>> Nathan said a bad recording is better than no recording! It is a 3 second
>> clip that is not very loud. Unfortunately, I did not understand the clip
>> and save process on Song Sleuth and this all I have left of the original 1
>> minute 20 second recording.
>>
>> You will have to turn up the volume to hear the twittering and preents in
>> this recording. I checked Song Sleuth, but could not find Common
>> Nighthawk. I also checked the bird lists I could find for Tualatin Valley
>> Wildlife Refuge, but could not find a listing of Common Nighthawk. The
>> Willamette Valley Birding Trail Checklist notes that nighthawks are rarely
>> detected during Spring and Fall, and occasionally detected during summer.
>>
>> So do you think the "twittering" sound I recorded are Vaux's Swifts and
>> the "preent" sounds are from a Common Nighthawk?
>>
>> I have lived in Sherwood since fall of 2016. This is the first time I
>> have heard a Common Nighthawk on this side of the Cascades, however, they
>> were fairly common in central Oregon.
>>
>> I would welcome any feedback at: <gaviacooney...>
>>
>> I hope I have not violated any OBOL rules by making this posting. If so,
>> forgive me, it is my first post to this listserve.

Join us on Facebook!