Date: 6/6/19 5:55 am
From: d pan <birdmandan813...>
Subject: [wisb] Follow up- Interurban bike trail disruption Oz county
Recap and update-
I spoke with a rep from American Transmission Company- They seemed
genuinely interested in honoring the Federal Migratory Bird Act. I ( along
with a friend) then went through brush recently cut by them and found two
nests that were destroyed. We also found a nest with nestlings looking to
be cut down the following day. ATC rep was notified and thanked me,
promised to educate their contractors and protect the nest. That nest is
still there. Cutting continued around the area and down the trail. The
following day I walked another length of the trail ATC was clearing and
found a nest with eggs and a partially built nest in line to be cleared. I
took and forwarded pictures to ATC and again was thanked and told the info
would be passed along. The active nest is still there and now marked with a
bright colored ribbon. Everything else in the area is gone. When I went
back to check the nest, the entire crew just stood, arms folded and watched
me like I was the guy making their jobs more difficult- I walked other
parts of the trail that had been cut and found no nests marked with
ribbons- Do you think I found the only active nests on this length of
trail? I don't.

A excerpt from recent texting with ATC-
"As for lessons learned, a big one is that this work was pushed from
winter due to various circumstances. That push has now resulted in work
during an non-optimal time of year that could have been discussed during
schedule reassessment."

As much as I hope this truly is a lesson learned and ATC factors these
lessons into future Spring work schedules, I have no reason to believe it
will change anything- I believe we as birders need to actively lobby
locally and help establish protocols that absolutely prohibit widespread
clearing during the six or seven week nesting period - If brush can't be
removed during the other 45 weeks of a given year it could wait an
additional year.

As things stand for this season, unless we identify active nests and bring
them to ATC's attention, there's no way to know if ATC ( or it's
contractors or sub contractors) are doing their due diligence. That means
we're protecting a couple individuals but only if someone has time to do
so.......

To be continued-

Dan Panetti
S.E. Ozaukee county