Date: 6/5/19 10:06 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Describing migrant shorebirds, was: Late Coos Shorebirds
Well, one explanation of which I know only a little is that first-year
shorebirds may not return (entirely) to their natal and later breeding
grounds.
That is, they may not breed in their first year at all and not make it 'all
the way' back.
This could account for shorebirds which show up at odd times through the
late spring to summer.
I'm unaware whether they are in 'full' breeding plumage at this time but I
would imagine that they are.
Here is one somewhat related article

https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/iwsgb/n033/p00037-p00038.pdf

Undoubtedly more information could be found with persistence, for instance
about different species.

Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!