Date: 6/5/19 1:06 pm
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: 2019 cerulean warbler survey along Lower Trail (Blair, Huntingdon counties)
I completed my early June three-morning (June 1,4,5) walking survey for
singing male cerulean warblers along the Lower Trail in Blair and
Huntingdon counties. This is a 16.2 mi rails-to-trails along the Frankstown
Branch of the Juniata River - Williamsburg is the largest town it passes.

My first survey, in 1998, was part of Cornell's cerulean warbler atlas
project and covered the northern 11 miles of the trail, which has since
extended. I repeated in 2001, and in recent years over the full trail. As
the below table of singing males shows, my recent counts are as high or
higher than in the early years, so numbers are holding steady or even
increasing. This year's tally was the highest.

Year

Cerulean Warblers (11 mi)

Cerulean Warblers (16.2 mi)

1998

36

2001

43

2015

44

51

2016

55

65

2017

50

61

2018

39

54

2019

61

72

This is one of PA's most accessible high-quality riparian corridors and
early morning bird song is very dense. There were few mosquitoes this week,
but soon there will likely be more (and then a good reason to ride a bike).

Nick Bolgiano
State College

Join us on Facebook!