Date: 6/3/19 5:45 pm
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Magicicada
Hi all,

No, this is not about birds - though it is about potential bird food - but we are seeing some early emergers from Brood X (the “Big Brood”) of periodical cicadas - three species of the wonderfully-named genus Magicicada. I have been hearing them along Northwest Branch in Montgomery County and also in Wheaton Regional Park. This is two years early, as this is a 17-year brood. We also had early emergers two years ago - at 13 years - in exactly the same place. The calling sounds fairly thin so assume not too many out there. For those new to the area, just wait! (And expect high bird-breeding success in 2021 as well...)

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad