Date: 6/2/19 7:18 pm
From: Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Passing of Ford Hendershot
Sad day for all birders of OK, AR, near by Tx.
On one of my Red Slough trips on the last day , Tuesday noon, Ford was there at the museum as we returned for lunch. He asked me about what I saw and “wished I had seen”.
I mentioned missing a worm eating warbler. He said “ really, go get some lunch and meet me back here in an hour and we will go find one.” He went home for lunch.
After lunch he took me down near Red Slough. We parked at a forest service road, walked around the gate and up the dirt/ grassy road 100 yards or so. He said “ This should be good”. He played the song on a device and within 39 seconds one flew right up to a bush at 10 feet - and had a worm in it’s mouth!
Another life bird for me , delivered at close range by a wonderful man and great birder - and after the event was over and most were gone. Definitely beyond the call!
Hal Yocum

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 2, 2019, at 8:27 PM, Brett Niland <bestguess...> wrote:
>
> Sad day,
>
> He was a great guy and Lareina and I dearly enjoyed our time with him. His passion for the place and all its inhabitants was very evident in the way he performed tours.
>
> His love of fellow man and those that share a love of birds was clear in his service to others.
>
> A mighty oak has fallen. He will be missed.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Brett Niland
> Cell: (918) 200-1818
>
> On Jun 2, 2019, at 1:31 PM, Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> wrote:
>
>> Awwww. I shall never forget when he met a group of us Fort Smith people very early one morning, and helped us get a very special bird at Red Slough. What a thrill that moment was when all of a sudden, just as it was getting light, a bird screamed out, “KISKADEE” from the tree above us.
>> What a nice, considerate man he was. Thank you for letting us know, David.
>>
>> Sandy B
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 12:46 PM
>> Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:
>>> I'm saddened by his passing; my heart-felt condolences to his family. Matt

Join us on Facebook!