Date: 6/2/19 3:37 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Marbled Murrelet and Tufted Puffins
Clatsop County (Columbia River south to Cape Falcon s. of Cannon Beach is
crap for Murrelets during the breeding season as the available habitat of
old growth stands immediately inland to fifty miles is nearly nonexistent
after years of management as industrial timberlands. Habitat in Tillammok
County is a bit better and there are more nesting Marbled Murrelets. I have
seen murrelets in summer just south of Cannon Beach in the ocean off of the
Neakhanie Cliffs south of Oswald West State Park and north of Manzanita.
Try the overlooks to the south of the largest and northernmost one.
Murrelets are usually within a mile or two of shore. Further south in
Tillamook County Murrelets are regularly seen off Cape Murres and are known
to breed just inland of Tillamook Bay about 7 miles.

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon