Date: 6/1/19 4:23 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Mississippi Kite, Dairy Mart Ponds, June 1
I went to the Dairy Mart Ponds for 2-1/2 hours this afternoon with some other birders, to look for the Indigo Bunting that Sia McGown photographed there yesterday. No luck. [Tom Benson was leaving just as I arrived and he had not seen or heard it either.]
We knew only that Sia had reported it from somewhere around the south pond, but there’s a lot of territory that falls under that label and a lot of perfectly good habitat nearby.

However, as we walked along the southwest side of the main pond at about 2:40, we flushed an adult Mississippi Kite from the same tree that one, an immature, used 4 years ago.
The bird quickly headed up into the air, caught a thermal and rose to spectacular heights before flying right across the disc of the sun, at which point, blinded, we lost it. I’m still seeing afterimages.

No idea whether it was migrating or will hang around, so if you go to Dairy Mart, keep an eye out for it.

Stan Walens, San Diego
June 1, 2019; 3:45 pm

View/Reply Online (#9688): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9688
-=-=-
---
Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month in the Hoffman Room of The San Diego Foundation, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd., San Diego, CA 92106. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year.
---
-=-=-

Join us on Facebook!