Date: 5/31/19 1:37 pm
From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr777...>
Subject: [wisb] Fwd: Hummingbird ID Help
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr777...>
Date: Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [wisb] Hummingbird ID Help
To: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat...>, Michael Rock <
<michael.rock5118...>

Jennifer,

This is an adult female Ruby-throated hummingbird. It is highly unusual
for Buff-bellied or Rufous hummingbirds to be seen in the spring in
Wisconsin (the Ruby-throat is the only breeding hummingbird in our state.)
Sometimes the females can display a little buffy coloring on their sides.
You can also see the white tail tips, which the males don't have.
Additionally, there may be a nest mark on her belly on the last photo,
which would make sense for this time of year.

Kathi Johnson Rock
Madison, Dane County, WI
hummingbirdgardening.net

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:05 PM Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat...>
wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if this bird is something other than a more buffy/rufous
> than usual female Ruby-throated? I'm just realizing how little attention I
> pay to the females. I am a bad birder, lol!~ Thanks in advance. Seen 5-25
> in Oak Creek.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/P7AXXPU69JytB3mu6
>
> --
> Jennifer Ambrose
> Bayview, Milwaukee County

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County
Zone 4/5
e-mail: <kathijr...>
website: https://sites.google.com/view/hummingbirdgardening/home
telephone: (608) 233-7397

"Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this
glittering
fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..."; (J. J. Audubon)