Date: 5/30/19 11:05 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS AT CENTERTON HATCHERY
A cool beautiful morning (61 degrees at 9 am) after last night’s spectacular rain storm. A big fish pond had just been drained when I arrived at Craig State Fish Hatchery in Centerton. I watched this mudflat for a while, then hoofed it to the big upper pond that also has a muddy edge. Shorebirds: Semipalmated Plover (2), Killdeer (15, including 3 recently hatched young), Spotted Sandpiper (3), Semipalmated Sandpiper (5), White-rumped Sandpiper (24), Pectoral Sandpiper (1 – hopping on one leg). The female Hooded Merganser continues. Two adult Bald Eagles were perched in the snag, as usual. Lots of singing by Warbling Vireos (3-4).

Join us on Facebook!