Date: 5/30/19 7:45 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Dog fur is for the birds (long)
Hi,

Actually there is quite a bit of evidence linking neonicotinoids to bird impacts; as such the MOS Conservation Committee (on which I serve) supported the ban on their in Maryland for homeowner use because of their impacts on birds. A single neonicotinoid-treated seed can kill a blue jay, for example. Nectar from treated plants is toxic to hummingbirds. Exposure to these pesticides has been linked to reduced reproductive success in birds as well, e.g. hatching success and nestling survival. These are just the direct effects. Most of the toxicity work for neonicotinoids was done in poultry or other large birds such as mallards and not in small passerines, so may not be that meaningful.

So bottom line, if your dog has been treated with one of these products, discard their shed fur.

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad