Date: 5/30/19 6:39 am
From: Dennis Kirschbaum <kad9801...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Whips
Dennis Kirschbaum here in the land of WHIP.   I have been the initial
contact for several people wanting info on where to find WHIP in the
Prairie du Chien area.  Here is a list of some of the best places for
WHIP in the PDC area.

Gran Grae Creek.  Take St Hwy 27 north out of PDC.  About 3 miles turn
right on Irish Ridge Road.  Go 3/4 mile and turn left on Gran Grae
Road.  Make stops along the next 3 miles to listen for the WHIP, owls,
and woodcock.  I have heard birds at almost every stop along this road.
Your first "best stop" would be about 50 yards past the first driveway
to the left, just after you cross the ditch.  Next best stop is at the
bridge that crosses the creek.  A couple of more stops along the road
and you will come to an intersection.  Your choice from here.  Turn
right and follow the road to St Hwy 60, about 4 miles.  Don't forget to
stop and listen for the birds.  If you turn left the next left, about a
half mile, is Wacouta Road and that will take you to St Hwy 27 or you
can stay on a straight ahead course on Gran Grae and come out on St Hwy
27 also.  Either of these roads should provide additional WHIP and owls.

If you want more, another great location is on Cty Rd D going west from
St Hwy 27 just north of Eastman.  Cty Rd D is a 6 mile very crooked road
to St Hwy 35 about 10 miles north of PDC.  Being that Cty Rd D is
crooked you will have to be careful as to where to park to listen for
WHIP.  Here are my "best" spots on this road.  This is also part of DNR
owl and WHIP surveys that I do in this area.  From St Hwy 27 go down the
hill about a mile.  Here is a place to park along the road where a hill
side has been removed in a recent road improvement project.  Nest best
spot is turning left on Sioux Coulee Lane.  Go over a small bridge and
turn around on either of the two roadways and listen from there.
Continue west on D another mile.  Pull into Charme Creek Rd.  I usually
back in and park by the stop sign.  If you don't like to back up on an
unknown route in the dark just pull in and park along the side of the
road before getting to the bridge.  You will have to turn around here to
get back on D.  Go another mile on D where you come upon a small white
house along the road with the fire number 60836.  Pull off the road at
the driveway to this house just before the bridge.  No one lives there,
but if someone is there for the weekend just cross the bridge and park
along the road edge.  This is a really good spot for WHIP.  On nightjar
counts I have had multiple birds calling from this location and they
tend to be very close in the surrounding hillsides.   Continue to St Hwy
35, turning left to get back to PDC.

I have other areas for WHIP but probably not as good as the two routes
above.  If you have any questions please contact me.

On 5/30/2019 7:49 AM, Carl Schwartz wrote:
> The Noel J. Cutright Bird Club's annual visit to this area has had the best
> luck up for Eastern Whip-poor-will along Irish Ridge Rd. upland from PduC;
> we will be back there this weekend and posting to eBird; this year we are
> combining the usual field trip with a day of serious atlassing (Platteville
> CE) and also will be watching for breeding behaviors while in the Wyalusing
> area, which is in the heavily visited but under-confirmed Brodtville NW
> block
>
> Carl Schwartz
> Milwaukee County
> Editor, The Badger Birder