Date: 5/29/19 7:03 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: ECAS Wednesday, Woodpecker day around Sisters, Cold Springs, Whispering Pines, Scotts Pass
We birded some areas continuing to scout for the woodpecker festival.
Note that we had a big group of over 30 birders and so we split up into
more groups. Others, please chime in with your bird stories and other
names of birders as I missed some.

Our group went first to Calliope for the Sapsucker pair, leucistic
Red-breasted and hybrid RB/RN. Also of course enjoyed warblers, and a
very close Hammond's was special. Quick jaunt to White-headed with
perfect timing for next exchange, and on to Cold Springs for
Williamson's nest exchange and Hairy, Flicker and another White-headed
around. Back of Cold Springs for nice Fox Sparrow and Green-tailed
Towhee and on to work up toward Whispering pines. The mix of warblers,
flycatchers, and empids made for a lot of variety and fun birds at each
stop. The last major stop was near Scotts Pass turnoff for Hairy and
Black-backed nesting birds and the Black-backs provided one of the
highlights of the day. Close repeated views of male and female as they
carried out parental duties of feeding and removing fecal sacs was our
reward after sitting quietly for 45 minutes, waiting for the show to
begin. See below for other birds and locations. I have to say that a few
on the list were not seen by "my" group but we checked in with the
others so I will report American Three-toed seen by some of them after a
grueling, challenging, torturous slog over a mile through blowdowns etc
near Trout Creek Swamp, and some had Sooty Grouse in same "big Rock"
area toward Scott's Pass.
Thanks to Steve Kornfeld for his excellent leadership and to Vickie Buck
and Barbara Phillips for ebirding today.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Sooty Grouse - heard by some
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
American Kestrel
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Calliope Hummingbird
Lewis' Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker - cold Springs
Red-breasted Sapsucker - Calliope, others had at Whispering Pines
Hairy Woodpecker
White-headed Woodpecker - Cold Springs, Camp Polk, etc
Three-toed Woodpecker - 1+ mile along "trail" beside Trout Creek Swamp
Black-backed Woodpecker - Whispering Pines and nesting Scott's Pass
Northern Flicker
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Western Wood-Pewee
Hammond's Flycatcher - very cooperative Calliope
Dusky Flycatcher - Cold Springs, also along 1018
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - whispering Pines
Cassin's Vireo - along 1018
Warbling Vireo - several
Gray Jay
Steller's Jay
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Bushtit - Calliope Crossing
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Brown Creeper - Cold Springs
House Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet - Whispering Pines, full orange display
Western Bluebird
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire - singing several spots
American Robin
Nashville Warbler - along 1018
Yellow Warbler - Calliope
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Townsend's Warbler several spots along 1018
Hermit Warbler - along 1018 and Whispering Pines
HETO - Hermit/Townsend's cross, Whispering Pines
MacGillivray's Warbler - Calliope, 1018
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Western Tanager
Green-tailed Towhee - Cold Springs
Spotted Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Fox Sparrow - Thick-billed
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-headed Grosbeak
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Purple Finch - singing and perched, Calliope Crossing
Cassin's Finch - Scott's Pass
Red Crossbill- behind Cold Springs
Pine Siskin - Scott's Pass
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 62

Birders today: Curtis Wilson, Carolyn Rochelle, Ned Austin, David Clapp,
Kevin Ryan, Barbara Phillips, Rebecca Dobrowski, Ginger Kafel, Cora
kafel, Vickie Buck, David Sowards-Emmerd, Mark Neudorfer, Scott Ahlf,
Steve Kornfeld, Mary Webster, Joel Tinsley, Cindy Zalunardo, Sherrie
Neudorfer, Howard Horvath, Aaron Jenkins, Debra McCoy, Hank Ruppbrecht,
Diane Burgess, Joel Tinsley, Mike Golden, Jean Tuomi, Judy Meredith, and
others. We split into 2 and 3 groups and I have lost track of names!
Other half of the trip, please chime in on birders and birds that I
didn't get onto the list. NEXT WEEK, same story, but some different
birds!
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!