Date: 5/29/19 7:02 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - May 28
It was mostly overcast and windy on the bird survey yesterday. 60 species
were found. The heronry continues to grow with Snowy Egrets and Little-blue
Herons now nesting in there. The Neotropic Cormorant young are getting
large and I can see young Anhingas in many of the nests. Now I'm waiting to
see if the White Ibis' will nest as their numbers are growing. So far they
are only using the heronry to roost. I'm starting to see broods of young
grebes and Common Gallinules. One grebe had its young on its back and under
its wings as she sat on her nest. While surveying I heard a loud splashing
noise near my feet and looked down in time to witness a Mud Turtle chasing a
crayfish that was almost as big as he was out of a puddle and onto muddy
ground. The crayfish only had one pincer and was going in reverse with the
turtle snapping repeatedly at him. The crayfish eventually made it to a
hole and disappeared out of site. That didn't faze the turtle as he started
digging into the hole and last I saw of him he was almost completely buried
out of site in the mud as he pursued the crayfish. Here is my list for
yesterday:

Wood Duck - 9

Hooded Merganser - 1

Pied-billed Grebe - 6 (2 with broods.)

Neotropic Cormorant - 13

Anhinga - 120

Great-blue Heron - 3

Great Egret - 58

Snowy Egret - 15 (confirmed nesting in heronry.)

Little-blue Heron - 15 (confirmed nesting in heronry.)

Cattle Egret - 1000

Green Heron - 5

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 1

White Ibis - 141

White-faced Ibis - 1

Black Vulture - 37

Turkey Vulture - 22

Mississippi Kite - 7

Red-shouldered Hawk - 2

King Rail - 1

Purple Gallinule - 46 (3 on nests.)

Common Gallinule - 27 (2 on nests plus 2 broods.)

Mourning Dove - 5

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 5

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2