Date: 5/27/19 1:25 pm
From: Hyndla Kensdottir <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender hyndla53704 for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] Re: Kestrel or Merlin?
The marks coming down from the eyes on kestrals are black and distinct, not blurry and light colored like the bird in your photo.  Kestrals also have a distinct "sideburn" mark behind the eye but this bird has a dark streak extending back from the eye. The darker bars on the tail of the photographed bird are wide.  The dark bars on female kestral tails are usually thin. The basic coloration is often reddish in the tail and wings of female kestrals. The male kestral is strikingly colored with grey wings and a rufous back and tail.
I am not very familiar with merlins.  I'm guessing the bird is a first year male with the small patch of grey feathers. Orange legs are not shown in any of my reference books.
Pam SkaarMadison
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 6:41:43 PM CDT, Joe Riederer <wisbird.riederer...> wrote:

The recently posted this picture on Instagram and called it a Kestrel. I'm
being told that it is a Merlin, not a Kestrel.  How do I tell the
difference?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Upj_UWz2GdqoOe61Tq7JbIzMxdob3Mbr/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for any help you can give.

--