Date: 5/27/19 3:14 am
From: James Wilson <birdmanjfw...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Dog fur is for the birds
My daughter has horses. Come spring, she would clip manes and tails and save the horsehair for me. I would walk around the yard spreading horse hair on branches, fence posts, etc. The Baltimore Orioles loved it. When I would get lucky enough to find a fallen nest, it was easy to see lots and lots of woven horsehair.
Once I had a nest blow down with 4 babies, maybe 3 or 4 days old. I put the nest in an old strawberry container and placed it in the tree that it had fallen from. Unfortunately, Momma did not adopt the "new" nest.
Jim Wilson
Queenstown