Date: 5/26/19 7:14 pm
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Dog fur is for the birds
The only thing would be to avoid fur from a dog that is being treated for fleas with one of the neonicotinoid products, as these will contaminate the fur. For example, imidacloprid is the active ingredient in K9 Advantix and the new Seresto collars. Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline. Both have been shown to be moderately to highly toxic to birds. Not sure about effects due to physical contact with the pesticide, but the birds are taking the fur into their mouths, too.

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville

Sent from my iPad