Date: 5/26/19 4:12 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report
*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Fred, Kay, Paul
and I were joined by eight (8) other birders. The weather was cool and
windy with mostly cloudy skies and temperatures between 48 and 53 degrees.
We made five stops around the refuge with the walk around Eagle Marsh berm
being the most productive. The pullout off Sidney Road was quiet this
time. We identified (saw or heard) 60 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

· The sightings of the day were a *Lazuli Bunting*, *Yellow-breasted
Chat* (2) and *Bullock’s Oriole*. The bunting and oriole were up the road
from the Acorn Woodpecker Corner. The chats were out along the Eagle Marsh
berm ;

· Water birds included an *American Bittern*, *Great Egret* (8) and
a *Green Heron* (3). We also heard two *Soras* along the westside berm at
Eagle Marsh. They were about halfway down the berm;

· We observed eight (8) species of ducks but the numbers were low
with the exception of the *Mallards* (87) and *Gadwall *(14). We did see
seven (7) *Wood Ducks* and six (6) *Cinnamon Teal*;

· The raptors seen included *Turkey Vulture* (10), *Osprey* (1),
*Red-tailed
Hawk* (3), *American Kestrel* (1), and *Bald Eagle* (4);

· Most of the warblers were seen in the tree cover just past where
the berm path turns to the left going to the other two marshes. We saw
several *Wilson’s Warblers*, an *Orange-crowned Warbler* and heard *Common
Yellowthroats* and *Yellow Warblers*;

· Other sightings included *Swainson’s Thrush*, *Willow Flycatcher*
(heard only) and *Western Wood-Pewee*.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS bird walk will be
the *Minto-Brown Island Park* bird walk on *Sunday, June 9th at 7:00 a.m.*
Meet in parking lot #3. Our next shorts bird walk will be on *Tuesday,
June 25th* at *Keizer Rapids Park*. Meet at 9*:00 AM* in the last parking
lot near the boat ramp. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, Oregon

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for May 26, 2019*

*Number of Species: 60*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 7:00 AM

(2): Ankeny NWR—Sidney Road S – first pullout on right @ 7:24 AM
(3): Ankeny NWR—eastbound on Buena Vista Rd. - first pullout on left @ 7:47
AM

(4): Ankeny NWR—Eagle Marsh @ 8:02 AM

(5): Ankeny NWR—Ankeny Hill Rd. & Liberty Rd. S (Acorn Woodpecker Corner)

33 Canada Goose -- (2),(4)
7 Wood Duck -- (4)
6 Cinnamon Teal -- (3),(4)
7 Northern Shoveler -- (1),(3)
14 Gadwall -- (1),(2),(3),(4)
1 American Wigeon -- (2)
87 Mallard -- (1),(2),(3),(4)
1 Northern Pintail -- (3)
3 Ring-necked Duck -- (1)
8 Pied-billed Grebe -- (1),(4)
1 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (5)
2 Mourning Dove -- (1),(4)
2 Vaux's Swift -- (4)
2 Sora -- (4)
7 Killdeer -- (2),(3),(4)
1 Double-crested Cormorant -- (1)
1 American Bittern -- (2)
11 Great Blue Heron -- (1),(2),(3),(4)
8 Great Egret -- (1),(4)
1 Green Heron -- (4)
10 Turkey Vulture -- (1),(4),(5)
1 Osprey -- (1)
4 Bald Eagle -- (1),(4),(5)
1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- (1)
3 Red-tailed Hawk -- (5)
2 Acorn Woodpecker -- (5)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (4)
5 Northern Flicker -- (2),(3),(4)
1 American Kestrel -- (5)
3 Western Wood-Pewee -- (4),(5)
3 Willow Flycatcher -- (4),(5)
3 Warbling Vireo -- (4)
4 California Scrub-Jay -- (2),(5)
3 American Crow -- (3),(4)
2 Tree Swallow -- (1),(4)
11 Violet-green Swallow -- (1),(4),(5)
10 Barn Swallow -- (1),(4),(5)
30 Cliff Swallow -- (1),(3),(4)
2 Black-capped Chickadee -- (2)
4 Bushtit -- (4)
1 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (5)
5 Marsh Wren -- (4)
2 Bewick's Wren -- (2),(4)
5 Swainson's Thrush -- (4)
5 American Robin -- (2),(3),(4)
60 European Starling -- (1),(2),(3),(5)
14 Cedar Waxwing -- (1),(3),(4)
12 American Goldfinch -- (1),(4)
7 Song Sparrow -- (2),(4)
4 Spotted Towhee -- (2),(4)
2 Yellow-breasted Chat -- (4)
1 Bullock's Oriole -- (5)
59 Red-winged Blackbird -- (1),(2),(3),(4)
4 Brown-headed Cowbird -- (4),(5)
3 Brewer's Blackbird -- (2),(5)
1 Orange-crowned Warbler -- (4)
6 Common Yellowthroat -- (2),(4)