Date: 5/26/19 11:16 am
From: Leith McKenzie <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender loinneilceol for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: A break in the weather brought good birds to Black Butte Ranch
Regarding the flycatchers.  The second bird is a Western Wood Pewee.  Measuring from the end of the secondaries, the length of the tail extension is slightly less than two times the length of the primary extension.
The first bird cannot be reliably identified from the photos.  The state of molt is problematic in that some secondaries are not fully grown.  It could be a Traill's (Willow) Flycatcher.  But given the state of molt and feather wear, it is very hard to know.  Which makes the case for making a video to try to record the voice of ambiguous Empids.
Maitreya

Date: Sun May 26 2019 2:44 am
From: davidcbaileyoregon AT gmail.com |
|   |
| The bird that you have labeled Orangr-crowned Warbler is a female Yellow Warbler. The Empidonax species I am struggling with to identify. Certainly the bird labeled Empidonax 2 has a very long primary projection and looks Wood-Pewee-like. Looks good for Willow perhaps. It has been a while since I have observed rapid plumages...

Thanks for sharing,

David

On Sat, May 25, 2019, 18:06 Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...> wrote:

There was a wonderful assortment of birds this morning on the ranch.

WILSON'S SNIPE, WILSON'S PHALAROPE, WILSON'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, and two EMPIDONAX sp. were among the mostcooperative.

The two Empidonax flycatchers were about 1/2 mile apart. Unfortunately, neither bird vocalized. But both bobbed their tails up first, then down helpingme rule out Gray.I notedpale lores, off-white wing bars, olive-gray upperparts, white to yellow-tinged underparts, and a faint eye-ring on the first bird. The second bird's posture was more erect than the first and it was darker overall, with whiter wing bars and had a longer primary-projection. I've tentatively identifiedthe first bird as aWILLOW FLYCATCHER, and the second as a DUSKY FLYCATCHER.

Your thoughts will beappreciated.

https://www.jack-n-jill.net/bl...

Jack WilliamsonWest Linn, Oregon |

“Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of freedom.”

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Join us on Facebook!