Date: 5/22/19 11:07 am
From: Mark Martin <marksuemartin...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Questions
HI
It is my understanding that rough-winged do not nest in nest boxes.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology states that
Northern Rough-winged Swallows nest in burrows created by other
animals—such as kingfishers, squirrels, and Bank Swallows—in clay, sand, or
gravel banks, typically near water. They also nest in crevices found in
gutters, boxes, drainpipes, walls, and bridges. They nest singly or in
small groups often at the edge of a Bank Swallow colony.
We have found them nesting in trailers from semis that are permanently
parked and have holes for the swallows to enter under the trailer. Years
ago, Paul and Glenna Schwalbe from Pardeeville observed a rough-winged
trying to nest in a neighbors dry vent. They placed a PVC pipe about three
foot long with about a three inch opening on one end on the side of their
house about five feet off the ground. They also placed a mirror so they
could stand in their house and look at the mirror and monitor the PVC.

We placed the same type of PVC at our cabin under a bridge over the water
and below an elevated deer stand near water, No use the first two years.
However ,about 10 days ago we were pleased to have a pair of rough-wings
was carrying nesting material (grass) into the PVC under the deer stand.

Mark and Sue Foote-Martin
Arlington WI

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM K Petersen <loonp...> wrote:

> Good afternoon all -
>

> Just a couple of questions for the group -
>

> 1. Do northern rough-winged swallows ever use nesting boxes?
> 2. What bird lays a wren-sized egg that is robin-egg blue in color?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Kurt Petersen
>
> Sheboygan County

*Mark and Susan Foote-Martin*