Date: 5/20/19 10:15 am
From: Polly Alexander <pollysalexander...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Totally urban White-crowned Sparrow.
I live in NW PDX and over the last few years while walking into the Pearl (and downtown) during these spring/early summer months, I hear them in many places - crossing the bridge at Glisan into the Pearl, I hear them in the trees that are planted along the highway. I’ve also heard and seen them at The Fields Park as well as in Tanner Springs Park between NW 10th and 11th and Marshall. The other day I walked by Tanner Springs and saw a Mallard family with 9 ducklings as well as a great Blue Heron feeling quite comfortable fishing while many people watched, some just 15-20 ft. from the bird.

Polly NW PDX

> On May 20, 2019, at 6:55 AM, Jack Maynard <jmaynard...> wrote:
>
> Just started paying attention to all the birds I had dismissed as house sparrows on my walk into work from the bus stop, and today saw a white-crowned at SW 5th and Harrison near PSU.
>
> Jack NE PDX
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 18, 2019, at 5:01 PM, Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...> <mailto:<pgeorgekline...>> wrote:
>
>> A few males are singing at Waterfront Park downtown and along the narrow strip of landscaped vegetation along the river to the south. MLK and Burnside is extreme though I think.
>>
>> Philip Kline
>>

>> On Sat, May 18, 2019, 4:48 PM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> <mailto:<jeffgilligan10...>> wrote:
>> At least when I worked in downtown Portland, there were a few breeding pairs there.
>>
>> Jeff Gilligan
>>

>> > On May 18, 2019, at 7:09 AM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> <mailto:<larspernorgren...>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Several times this spring l've heard someone ask"Do White-crowned Sparrows nest in Portland?" There's one singing at the junction of MLK jr and E. Burnside right now.lpn
>>
>> POST: Send your post to <obol...> <mailto:<obol...>
>> JOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol <http://www.freelists.org/list/obol>
>> OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol <http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
>> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...> <mailto:<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!