Date: 5/17/19 10:22 am
From: 'jovet' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Maybe a good last word on ticks...
Hi everyone,
Sorry to be late in the game on the tick discussion. I was traveling and only saw subject lines,not the text of the messages, so I may be repetitive.  Still, I wanted to share what has become a game-changer for me.
Early this spring I ordered Outdoor Research Bugout Gaiters.   They are treated with "EPA Registered Insect Shield Repellent Apparel" (trademarked) so I do not know what is actually in them.
But what I DO know is that since having them, I have had only 2 ticks on me, both on my hands, so I suspect those were from places I put my hands (gates) and not crawl-up from vegetation.  This includes many walks at my favorite spot, Wooton's Landing in Anne Arundel County, which is a haven for armys and armys of various ticks.   I am positive there were plenty of ticks present as my poor dog was covered the last time I took her there! (yes, she is on effective preventative now).  Typical walks at Wooton's in previous years have had me de-ticking myself for hours, no matter what sprays and/or pants I was wearing.
I love these gaiters; they seem quite effective. I have contracted Lyme before, and my physician doesn't want me in the woods or grass.  Well, I'm going outdoors as long as I am able. I just need to keep the ticks away - and these have done the tick-trick so far.
They do NOT work for mosquitoes or flying pests.   They are available through REI and Amazon, as well as other retailers.  Looks like they are currently on sale as well (mine were $55.00 this spring).
Best,
Joanne
Joanne Howl, DVMWest River, MD