Date: 5/15/19 9:44 pm
From: Craig Miller <gismiller...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Malheur empids
All,

As the eBird consultant for Lake County, I do not accept any reports of
either Pacific-slope or Cordilleran Flycatcher. I request that the observer
record it as "Western" Flycatcher. The reason for this is that studies done
in the area suggest that most or all the western-type flycatchers are
intergrades. Arch McCullum has conducted extensive vocalization studies of
these birds in the Warner Mountains. It is his opinion that the
vocalizations may sound like one species or another, but they were
invariable somewhere in-between. Also, individual birds will sometimes
sound like one species, only to vocalize as the other later on.

Until additional studies say otherwise, I do not believe it is possible to
say with certainty that a western-type flycatcher is one or the other in
Lake County.

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on this species split...

Craig Miller
Bend

Virus-free.
www.avg.com