Date: 5/15/19 8:59 am
From: Russell Benedict <BenedictR...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Gray-cheeked Thrush, Eastern Wood Pewee
Had a couple nice birds on the campus of Central College in Pella this morning. The most exciting was a singing Gray-cheeked Thrush - I had not heard them sing before, and I have only confidently identified them a couple of times in the past. The thrush stuck to some mature conifers present on campus, and sat side-by-side with a Swainson's Thrush for nearly a minute. Also had beautiful looks at one of my favorite warblers, Chestnut-sided, and heard my first Eastern Wood Pewee of the year. We have a starling on campus who is a good imitator of pewees, so it was nice to hear the real thing. Russ, Pella / Knoxville.

Russ Benedict

Professor of Biology

Director of Prairies For Agriculture Project

Department of Biology, Central College

812 University Street | Campus Box 09 | Pella, Iowa 50219
Office: 641-628-5173
[http://departments.central.edu/centralcommunications/files/2012/09/centralCollegeEmailLogo.png]