Date: 5/14/19 6:45 am
From: Andrew McGann <andrew.mcgann...>
Subject: Re: PAMC Report - Crawford, Erie, Lawrence, Butler, Allegheny & Washington Counties
Ryan, Dave, and Ann make good points. But as a rule, whenever we have a new form of media/communication it’s additive, not a replacement for any existing communication technology. We still read books, even when we have TV and movies. Certainly each medium has its strengths and weaknesses. If you just took a nice photo that you want to show off, most people wouldn’t write an email that just says, “Hey look, I got one great photo of a Scarlet Tanager.” But Facebook, Instagram, etc. are great for these kinds of quick posts. To me, they are like “potato chips.” Tasty and borderline addictive, but yet not a substitution for real nutrition.

I think that the PABIRDS listserv is still the preeminent place to tell long-form birding stories to our neighbors across the Commonwealth. I often go weeks or months without logging into Facebook, and whatever I miss in the intervening time is buried in an avalanche of photos of Bald Eagles and random backyard birds. On the other hand these emails always flow into my Inbox/PA folder. And given my email service, they are basically all archived for me “forever.” I can catch up any time and mine my archive for past years’ posts on a given topic.

Consider the fact that the PABIRDS listserv hasn’t had masses of people unsubscribing. There are still about ~400 recipients. A number that has been remarkably consistent for an impressively long time. I think you will always have an audience willing to read these long-form birding stories. Some of us are just craving *more* epic birding tales via email!

Best,
Andy

--
Andy McGann
Washington, DC

> On May 14, 2019, at 4:59 AM, Dave DeReamus <becard...> wrote:
>
> Ryan and all,
>
> Unfortunately, the experience of reading many great posts on PABIRDS appears to be waning, which is a shame in my opinion. This used to be THE place to go for up-to-the-minute information on most things happening in Pennsylvania birding. Now with the innovation of social media, information has been splintered into many different Facebook and Yahoo groups and innumerable individual eBird reports, making it practically impossible to monitor everything. Detailed storytelling has been replaced by a few lines or by filling in the blanks. I guess one of the reasons for the move to the various sites might be that everyone is short on time and is looking for the quickest and easiest way to record their information. At least eBird produces beneficial data in the process AS LONG AS the information recorded by the "citizen scientists" is correct and legit, but that's a whole different story for another day.
>
> I realize things change and hopefully for the better (remember "My Space"?), but I think, in this case, it's a sad change. I hear that older people don't like change, so that might be part of my displeasure. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write about your day.
>
> Good birding,
> Dave DeReamus
> Palmer Township, PA
> becard -at- rcn.com
> Blog: http://becard.blogspot.com
> Eastern PA Birding: http://users.rcn.com/becard/home.html
> Google Photo Albums: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109457857807399603170?source=pwa
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Ryan Tomazin
> Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 10:47 PM
> To: <PABIRDS...>
> Subject: PAMC Report - Crawford, Erie, Lawrence, Butler, Allegheny & Washington Counties
>
> Hello All,
>
> To begin, frankly I'm surprised that reporting on PAMC Big Days isn't a thing anymore. Have Facebook, eBird and Twitter really just swallowed up the whole human interaction experience???
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!