Date: 5/13/19 5:14 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Lincoln Co. eBird Alert: Yellow-headed Blackbird & Laughing Gull
Single photos of a bird, even decent photos such as this can be problematic. That written, I don’t see any reason to disagree with the assertion that this is a Laughing Gull. The bill looks rather long and heavy.. The eye arch, particularly the lower one, appear rather thin. Both of these marks are favorable to Laughing Gull.

Jeff Gilligan
Currently at Depoe Bay

> On May 13, 2019, at 5:01 PM, Range Bayer <range.bayer...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> There is now a photo for the reported Laughing Gull at
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56139820
>
> The observer Norm Donelson's description: "Adult black-headed gfull
> [gull] in alternate plumage. Dark red legs and bill, suggestion of
> droop to bill, slightly blacker at bill tip. Seen in large mixed flock
> of gulls in Beach about one mile north of Nye Beach access at 10:15
> a.m., then seen again at 11:45 when flock flew far to the north - seen
> past Yaquina Head lighthouse and disappeared beyond that. Wings showed
> no white at all except on trailing edge. Seen both at rest and in
> flight. Alternate plumage Franklin’s shows white both at wingtips and
> inside the black area; this bird’s wings went evenly from gray to
> black. Attaching the best photo we got, taken with phone through
> binoculars."
>
> Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>