Date: 5/12/19 1:38 pm
From: world oceans <world.oceans7...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Nitpicking--Counting rules at borders in an "official" count
Hi Marcia,

I enjoyed this posting and the replies it drew! Basically I think everyone
is correct.....the bird should be counted where it was when you observed
it. If you observe it moving into another county, you can count it in both.
If you hear it but are not sure where it is, I would use your best guess as
to location. If you hear/see it in both counties but are not sure if it is
the same bird, I think you can count it in both, but what I suggest is that
you document it with a note that says it could have been one or two birds.
Obviously there will be some situations where you cannot prove it one way
or the other.

My bottom line is that the scientific documentation is more important than
whether somebody gets to bolster their list. My personal feeling is that it
is more important to get the facts onto ebird than anywhere else. The ebird
folks do a great job of coordinating and verifying with various state
records committees and agencies, as far as I know. Unfortunately, many of
us birders sometimes record many sightings without many details, leaving a
lot of doubt as to how many birds were observed, and where they were! In
the interest of the birds, I am suggesting we try to be as scientifically
accurate as possible, but also accept the fact that a lot of birds have to
go unidentified or undocumented or miscounted.

My own favorite personal stories are the few times when (usually at low
altitude in an airplane) I have been able to see the same bird in three or
more different states (or even countries!) Phew!!......

James Gibson

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>