Date: 5/11/19 7:06 pm
From: Mark Kudrav <mkudrav...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Pacific Grove-LEWIS' WOODPECKER, Willow Fly, Western tanager spectacle
All,
Migrants showed up in force today in Pacific Grove. I accidentally blew
off work and birded El Carmelo Cemetery from 9:45-2:45 and was eventually
joined by six other local birders.
The highlight was certainly a LEWIS' WOODPECKER that showed up in the
cemetery at about 12:45 in a pine above the fenced in maintenance yard. It
quickly flew into the adjacent Olympia West Apartment complex and
eventually into a large oak in the Sea Breeze Hotel. That was the point
last seen (maybe around 1:30ish), though it seemed to have moved from
there. Monarch lane provides easiest access to the apartment complex were
the bird was seen for the longest period. I did not refined the bird
between 5:30-6:30.
WESTERN TANAGERS were abundant to say the least. I’m reporting 120 but
all I can say is that this figure is not an overcount! It was tough to get
numbers as they were all over the place.
Other fun birds included a calling WILLOW FLYCATCHER, OLIVE-SIDE
FLYCATCHER, WESTERN WOOD PEEWEE, MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER,
HERMIT WARBLER, TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, WILSON’S
WARBLER, LAZULI BUNTING (singing), HOODED ORIOLE, OSPREY, and BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAKs. SWAINSON'S THRUSHES were singing when I arrived.

Best,
Mark Kudrav
Pacific Grove