Date: 5/11/19 5:12 pm
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: RE: [ia-bird] Possible fish crow at Saylorville
Here’s some more information on the possible (actually, probable) FISH CROW from this morning –

While leading the monthly Des Moines Audubon field trip below Saylorville Dam this morning, I heard the distinctive two-note “AH-AH” call of a Fish Crow. It was calling frequently and we soon located it as it moved around.. It finally settled down at the top of a snag in a swampy area. There it started its other nasal “begging crow” call, though not as frequently. Unfortunately, out of sixteen people all we had were cell phones for photos. We had great looks through optics, but couldn’t get a good picture. Likewise, attempts at capturing audio weren’t very successful. All agreed the bird was smaller than a typical crow, but I know that’s subjective without a direct comparison between the two. Ray Cummins and others familiar with the species agreed that the calls matched a Fish Crow. The bird was still perched when we left. While there’s no definitive proof, it’s probably worth a look and listen if you’re below the dam sometime.

Denny Thompson

Johnston